Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Settle down Jar - Epic FAIL

These "settle down jars" have been floating around cyberspace lately.

The concept: overwhelmed kiddo shakes jar and calms as (s)he watches the glitter settle. 

SOUNDS GREAT!

I improvised on the recipe found here (used 2 cups of water and had not enough glue, so used hair gel).

My jar is beautiful.  I even crafted a poem to accompany it and stuck it where the pickle label used to be (not because I was too lazy to scrape off the gunk the removed label had left behind, or anything.)

When I'm feeling overwhelmed
I shake the jar and see
The glitter like my feelings/thoughts
whirling crazily!
I watch and wait for it to fall.
It settles down, and then,
I find that I've calmed down enough
To face the world again!
 
Sadly, the Four-year-old with overwhelming feelings and emotions it was created for doesn't care for it.

Not. at. all.

He LIKES the "shake the jar to show me how you feel inside" part.  He has ZERO interest in watching the glitter settle down. 

Even when he "accidentally" caught the jar in his eye and was looking at it with some curiosity, he only focused on it for 2.3 seconds.

We'll have to wait and see if his sisters do any better with it.



2 comments:

  1. Sorry, I'm sooo far behind. I love your blog and hearing "your voice" in your posts:) Your little one is a boy, and from what I hear about boys, they just don't sit or ponder things, lol. I like the jar, though, and wonder if it would help one of my children, who suddenly flies off the handle at least once per day, leaving us all in a muddle, wondering "what got into her?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "leaving us all in a muddle"...love that!

    ReplyDelete