Thursday, November 6, 2014

Bravery and Compassion, "back in my day".

As a young person, you hear old people all around you bemoaning the state of things. You know, the diatribes older folks go on, which start with the phrase: :"nowadays", or, "back in my day". Well, I suppose I have crossed over to the other side of the bridge of youth, for I find myself, more and more, considering the changes of this here world and longing for the era of my youth.

Nowadays, it is "brave" to end ones life. Nowadays, it is "compassionate" to kill someone based on an arbitrary standard for quality of life. Well, back in my day, killing wasn't compassionate, it was abhorrent, to the degree that folks argued over whether or not to kill convicted murders. Back in my day, it was "brave" to risk death fighting for a cause that you believed in, or to lay down your life for another person.

Of all of the things that I would go into my old age lamenting, I never in a million years would have expected it to be our society embracing A Culture of Death. 
Isaiah 5:20

1 comment:

  1. There is just such complacency today in our attitudes - do whatever you want to do because its right for you. It's weird. And sad. Count me in the "in my day" club.

    ReplyDelete